I am plunging into the night.
I am navigating.
I have on my side only the stars.
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
And so a word chooses me in time for the new year.
–verb (used with object)
1. to move on, over, or through
2. to direct or manage (something) on its course.
3. to ascertain or plot and control the course or position of (something).
4. to pass over (something).
5. to walk or find one's way on, in, or across.–verb (used without object)
6. to direct or manage something on its course.
7. to walk or find one's way.
8. to travel
To walk or find one's way. To chart a course.
So much we cannot control. But so much we can. Last year threw me from one emotion to another, buffeted me about, and I allowed it. This year I have a compass and I will learn to read the stars. And when thrown off course I will still know where I am.